Tomorrow is Chase’s birthday (yes, he is younger than me and he never lets me forget it) :) One of his favorite desserts is cheesecake. I have never made one because I haven’t had a springform pan, but since I got one for Christmas I knew what I would be doing this weekend.
Last week when I was off work I pinned some cheesecake recipes on pinterest and while I was at work Friday I decided to give Chase a couple of choices to choose from: Reese’s peanut butter, chocolate chip, brownie caramel, sugar cookie, or salted caramel. His reply was “caramel chocolate chip”. Well, that wasn’t an option, but I thought I might could make it work.
I first looked at the brownie caramel cheesecake recipe to figure out what the caramel was all about. I also looked at the chocolate chip cheesecake recipe to see how the actual cheesecake was made. After looking at both of them I decided I would make a hybrid of both for Chase.
Chocolate Chip Cheesecake with Caramel:
1 package graham crackers
6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
4 packages cream cheese, room temperature
1&1/2 c. sugar
4 extra large eggs
1/4 c. sour cream
1&1/2 tsp vanilla
1 c. mini chocolate chips
**I cheated and used a jar of caramel topping
- Preheat oven to 350
- In food processor pulse graham crackers until crushed. Add in the melted butter and mix until combined. Press this graham cracker mixture into the bottom of the springform pan and bake in the oven for 7-8 minutes. Let cool completely
- Raise oven temperature to 450
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment mix cream cheese and sugar together until nice and fluffy. Add in eggs 1 at a time until well combined (I always crack each egg into a separate dish first in case something goes wrong). Lower speed to low and add in the sour cream and vanilla. Remove bowl from mixer and fold in the chocolate chips.
- Before adding the cheesecake mixture to the springform pan I poured a layer of caramel over the graham cracker crust. Top the caramel with the cheesecake mixture.
- Place a cookie sheet on the bottom rack of the oven (in case you have any spills) and add the cheesecake to the top rack. Bake for 15 minutes then turn town your oven to 225 and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Once time is up turn off oven and allow the cheesecake to cool in the oven for 45ish minutes then on the counter until completely cooled. Place in the fridge overnight and then enjoy!
- I plan on using some additional caramel sauce to drizzle over each slice immediately prior to serving.
Creamy and not too sweet=a perfect cheesecake